Sunday, August 23, 2009

How We Spent Our Summer

In honor of all those little folks returning to school and crafting their own "How I Spent my Summer" essays, I thought I'd write out ours.

Elliot spent his summer playing in water, spending numerous nights at Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Jim's and meeting Thomas and Sir Topham Hatt. Rode his first carnie rides at the Johnson County Fair and experienced 'big living' down at the Morrissey acreage riding a tractor, 4-wheeler and lawnmower. His first MLB game in Kansas City is still talked about. 'Goa Woyals!'

Fred has spent this summer nursing a running injury and is hopeful that Disney is still on. He also got a road bike and has been putting on miles and falling off of it whenever he can. Fred blew up his grill and yet managed to smoke food through numerous hellacious rainstorms. He also watched one of his best friends get married this summer. I mean, really, Josh-freaking-Rother got married?

Anna has been sewing and busy with opening and filling her Etsy store (come on, people, buy my nifty shi#!) She also somersaulted elegantly from the back of a horse and is nursing the injuries to this day. A quick day-trip to Kansas City with a friend, eating Fred's grilled dinners and is still begging for a wafflemaker. A wafflemaker.

Summer is ending. I know this because a 3T Chicago Bears jersey showed up on our doorstep, Fred has been relentlessly playing the new Madden and I'm thinking Halloween with Trick-or-Treat bags for my Etsy store and costumes for the family.

(Elliot & Fred as Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat?)

The end of Summer means one thing: the beginning of Fall. My fave-o-rite season. The weather, warm food and sweatshirts. The lets do it before the weather turns activities. It's Waubonsie in October, comforting Fred when the Cubs blow it and avoiding Lincoln like the plague on game days. And, hopefully, my blogging will get better.

No comments: