Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Too Hot for a Hot Tub

This heat is ridiculous.  And relentless.  And calls for swearing.

FUCK it's hot.

We've been in a heat advisory for close to a week now meaning that our temps are hovering at 100 and the heat indexes (indices? indicees?) are well into the 110's.  That's choking on the air hot. That's begging someone else to get the mail for you hot because the driveway will burn the soles off your feet hot. 

So when I got out of the shower yesterday morning, sweating, I wasn't totally surprised and didn't think a whole lot about it until I got an email from Fred about an hour later at work:  Our AC is out. I'm meeting someone there between 1 and 3pm.

A flurry of bad thoughts went swimming in my head, each one worse than the other.  OMG the house is going to be so hot since we have to wait another 5 - 7 hours.  Hot houses means spoiled food.  I hate bad bread. I wonder if the entire system is blown; it is a 14 year old unit. (Heh, I said unit.) I bet we'll have to replace the whole thing.  And that?  Will mean NO trip to Disney World.  Gahhh kill me now, it's hot and I can't see the mouse in a couple months and I have to replace the most major appliance in our house and I don't know how we'll pay for it. I don't even know how much a heat pump thingy is! Or hell, what it even is!  I'm irrational! and! using! too! many! exclamation! points!

I had no choice but to chill out about it for a few hours and was relieved to find out the repair had been done and wasn't going to cost the $14,000 I was envisioning.  It was the capacitor. And this guy?  Had the part in his truck. 

I would later learn that it was not the flux capacitor
that requires 1.21 gigawatts of electrical power. 

Bummer.

Good News:  It got fixed for a reasonable sum and in great time.
Bad News:  The house got up to 84 balmy degrees.
Good news:  I woke up shivering at 5am. 

Ahhhhh.

2 comments:

S said...

I'm feeling that way about my car right now and hope my imagination of potential larger than life expense is wrong.

And I have to say I'm loving your "unit" joke and Back to the Future reference! :)

Yo-yo Mama said...

I KNOW, RIGHT??! It's too hot for me to get in our pool!

I love 80 degrees. I don't even mind 90 degrees. But 100, 115?? Even satan is sweating his ass off.