Monday, September 20, 2010

My Apologies

A seemingly long, long time ago, I pushed a little human out into this world and he was quickly whisked away from me and into the nursery for a teeny tiny issue. (See? Not even a "problem" it was so tiny of a thing.)

That was at 5:01 p.m. on January 24, 2007.

I didn't see him again until a little after 7:00 p.m. and even then he was still in the nursery and under some fabulous heat lamps. (Hey, it was January in Nebraska... heat lamps rule.) And I held him. I held him and held him and held him.

But didn't name him.

He was finally brought into our room for us to keep a little after midnight.

Then we couldn't name him. We couldn't decide which of the two names we had so thoughtfully picked out would best suit him. Suddenly it became a huge task - give this 7 pound darling a name that will stick with him forever. Forever. For. Ever.

Relaxed a bit, made a joke of it and had the baby choose.

He chose Elliot James and I think he nailed it.

And while I love our story and love that his name actually took us a little bit to officially determine, it is driving me bat shit crazy that Steph hasn't named her baby yet.

I mean, really, Steph. You've had that little human in the world since 3 a.m. and you still haven't named him? Sure, I tortured the world... but only for 7 hours! I can't believe I'm sitting here, 8 hours later, and still don't have a name.

Do you know what this is doing to me?
Yes, ME? (It's always all about me.)(Duh.)

But it sort of came full circle in that this is what my closest family and friends were likely thinking. The first baby report is standard: weight, length and name. I had no idea at the time that it would cause such anxiety for a baby to go nameless.

For that, readers, I apologize.
I had no idea! The torture! The trickery!

Steph: relax and a name will come. But hurry the hell up because I'm incredibly impatient and need to know if you named the baby 'Handsome' or not. (That was Elliot's suggestion.)

And seeing what time it is, you might be watching Y&R . . . one can only hope you'll name him Victor Newman. (Am I right, Great Grandma Judy?!)

[Edited to add: Baby Boy has been named!
Welcome to the world, Henry Everett!]

No comments: